M-F: 8am-4pm


15 Mountain Blvd
Watchung, NJ 07069


Mon-Fri: 8am-4pm
Phone: 908.756.0080
Address: 15 Mountain Blvd
Watchung, NJ 07069

Contact Information

Vital Statistic Records (Births, Marriages, Deaths, Domestic Partnerships, Civil Unions) are governed by the State of New Jersey and the requirements displayed on this page, must therefore be abided by and the Borough cannot make exceptions. Information from the Sate can always be accessed here. 


Where should you apply for a marriage or civil union license?
The marriage or civil union license must be obtained from the Municipality in which either applicant resides, if one or both is a resident of New Jersey. A license issued under these circumstances is good for use anywhere in the State of New Jersey. 

If both parties are not residents of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the ceremony is to be performed and is only good for use in that municipality.

Requirements to obtain license:

  • Proof of residency (such as a drivers license or 2 pieces of significant mail)
  • Non-expired, government issued- photo identification (driver’s license or passport)
  • Social security number
  • 1 witness is required for the marriage license application. Witnesses must be 18 years of age or older and know both applicants. Witness must provide valid photo identification. 
  • There is a 72-hour waiting period for marriage licenses. Once the marriage license is issued, it is valid for 30-days.
  • $28.00 fee (exact cash amount or check payable to Borough of Watchung)

A New Jersey marriage or civil union license may never be used outside of the State of New Jersey and a license issued in another state may never be used within the State of New Jersey.


Who can perform a marriage or civil union ceremony?
Each Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, each judge of a federal district court, United States magistrate, judge of a municipal court, judge of the Superior Court, judge of a tax court, retired judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court, or judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court, the former County Court, the former County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, or the former County District Court who has resigned in good standing, surrogate of any county, county clerk and any mayor or the deputy mayor when authorized by the mayor, or chairman of any township committee or village president of this State, and every minister of every religion, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions between such persons as may lawfully enter into the matrimonial relation or civil union; and every religious society, institution or organization in this State may join together in marriage or civil union such persons according to the rules and customs of the society, institution or organization (See N.J.S.A. 37:1-13).

  • MARRIAGE LICENSES CANNOT contain cross-outs, white-outs or erasures. Any license that is returned for these reasons will delay filing of the license with the State of New Jersey and the issuance of certified copies.
  • Please note the marriage license is a FOUR-PART FORM. All four (4) copies of the marriage license need to be signed by the Officiant and Witnesses. Use black or blue ink only. All information must be legible. Please note that Item 3, “Place of Marriage” requires only the name of the Town and the County where the marriage took place. 
  • State law provides that within five days after performing the marriage ceremony, Part 1 and Part 2 (2 white copies) must be sent to the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the Municipality where the Ceremony took place.
  • Give Part 3 (pink copy) to the couple. Please advise the couple that the pink copy is not a legal document and a certified copy of their license can be obtained from the Registrar’s office in the Municipality where the ceremony took place.
  • Retain Part 4 (blue copy) for Officiants records.

The following persons may obtain certified copies of a vital record

  • Subject
  • Subject’s parent, spouse, child, grandchild or sibling
  • Legal Guardian
  • Legal Representative
  • Surviving Spouse (in the case of a Death Certificate)

In all cases, eligibility to obtain certified copies must be proven. Please do not send in original ID documents, only clear copies are required. Documents must be current, expired IDs will not be accepted.

Acceptable Forms of Identification WHEN REQUESTING COPIES OF VITAL RECORDS

  • State issued photo driver’s license or photo non-driver’s license with current address, OR
  • State issued driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address, OR
  • 2 alternate forms of ID, 1 of which must show the current address.

Alternate Forms of ID:

  • Vehicle registration
  • Vehicle insurance card
  • Voter registration card
  • United States Passport
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
  • Federal/ State ID
  • County ID
  • School ID
  • Utility bill withing the past 90 days

Contact Information

(908) 756-0080 ext. 0

Regina Angelo, Registrar
[email protected]

Edith G. Gil, Deputy Registrar
[email protected]

Colleen Lange, Alternate Registrar
[email protected]

Damaris Quinones-Gray, Alternate Registrar
[email protected]